Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Learn to Paint

I have always enjoyed looking at different types of artwork and I especially like oil and watercolor paintings. I just find it so amazing how one can create an illusion of reality with just a few dashes of paint here and there. Well, I know that's rather simplistic but I think you get the point.

I was about 33 years old when I decided to take the plunge into the art world and learn how to do some of what I had admired so much. I set out on a mission to find a local art class or someone that could teach me the basics oil painting. Believe it or not I was very difficult to find someone that actually taught classes that would show me how to paint and explain how and why to properly use the tools.

I eventually gave up on finding a class and decided to see if I could learn from one of the program I saw on PBS TV. I had watched the Bob Ross - Joy of Painting series many times over the years and decided. I was always quite enchanted by Bob Ross as he gracefully stepped through his paintings on TV. He would always say you can do this my friend, you can do this. I guess over time I began to take him at his word and gave it a try.

I placed an order for a Master Paint Kit (and all the fixins). I couldn't wait to get started, it was like waiting for Christmas.When I received my supplies I setup my easel and canvas with eager anticipations of completing my first painting. I popped the VHS tape that came with the kit into my VCR and soaked up every word. I carefully watched every movement and every brush stroke until I was sure I knew exactly what to do and how to do it. Now I was ready to paint.

And there I sat, staring nervously at this vast white empty space. One day, two days, eventually almost a week went by and I still had accomplished nothing more then just a stare at a blank canvas.

No comments: